Prayer

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ch 6 Learning Log

What
This week’s lesson was about learning and memorization. As I was reading the two words that kept showing up throughout the text were memory and processing because when we are learning the two most important things are memory and the processing of information. Memory is important because it allows us to retain information so that we can recall it at a later date. Whereas the process allows us to perceive analyze and strengthen our connections of memorization. In the book it discusses three different types of memory; i.e. the sensory register, the working or short term memory, and the long term memory. The sensory register is where we receive information, the short term memory is where we are able to process the information, and the long term memory is where we store the processed information. Each of the memory components listed above work together to help you remember and recall information. However, in class we discussed that thanks to scientific studies on the brain, we now know that the brain works a little different from the model previously discussed. First information is filtered through the reticular activating system and is sent to the Thalamus. Then the Thalamus sorts out the information and sends it out to the cerebral cortex. Once the cerebral cortex sorts through the information and decides what is important to keep it sends it back to the hippocampus, where it is processed again and sent back into the cerebral cortex to be filed away. We also discussed how one of the most important parts of learning is the encoding of the information because that is where the information gets modified either for the good or for the bad.


So What
Although it is fascinating to learn about the brain and how it works, the most important thing is that we understand the basics of how our future students learn and process the information we provide them with. As teachers we need to make sure that are students understand our information as correctly as possible. I once had a teacher who was teaching us how to factor exponents by using a short cut method. However, when I went home that night to do my home work I looked at the book because I was confused on one of the problems and the way the book solved it was different from the method my teacher taught, so I decided to combine the two methods which really messed me. Unfortunately, in this situation my math teacher had failed to communicate to me the differences and similarities of the two different methods. So, when my brain went to process and memorize the information it became distorted and very incorrect because of the two similar methods being lumped together. By understanding how the brain works through the information it is provided we can help our students to processes our lessons in the way we meant them to be understood.


Now What
I have always struggled with memorizing specific information such as numbers and names. However, I am really good at recalling details from stories and events. One reason why I believe that it is so much easier for me to recall the stories as opposed to the names is because of the way I process the information. For instance in my kinesiology class we have to memorize what action the different muscles perform. At first I really struggled with memorizing this information because I would just try to repeat it over and over in my head. But, then I started to observe the students I teach and feel on myself what muscles contract during certain exercises. Through reinvesting what I was learning through different mediums I have seen a vast improvement in my ability to memorize what is being taught. Likewise, if I can teach my students the information I want them to learn by using different intelligences or mediums I believe that they will be able to process the information I provide them with more clearly and increase their probability of memorization just as I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment