Prayer

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Assessment Learning Log

What
This past week the main focus was on assessment. Before we came in class we had to do a web quest on Assessment. With in the web Quest we had to learn particulars about four types of research. The first type was Descriptive (which describes a situation with in the research), the second was Correlational (which was a type of Descriptive research that looked at the relationships with in the research), the second was Experimental (which is when you manipulate or change part of the environment in order to achieve different affects), and last was Action (which is a part of Experimental research that deals with changing something with in your school or classroom). Then in class we talked about RSVP; i.e. Reliability, Standardization, Validity, and Practicality, and how it is important to balance your test with RSVP. We also discussed the importance of having different types of assessment to reach the different types of learners in your classroom.

So What
Although this type of research has been around for a while teachers continue to teach and test in ways that are unbalanced or biased. For instance take a paper and pen test it only reaches 2 maybe 3 of the different types of learners and they tend to lean more heavily on the practical side for teachers then they do on the other 3. However If teachers were to use a performance activity where the kids had to deal with a real life situation, like mixing hair dye to achieve a desired hair color during their chemistry class, then the students will have the chance at a more balanced form of assessment. Don’t get me wrong I believe that there are moments when paper and pen test are beneficial, I just don’t think they should be a teacher’s only form of assessment.

Now What
As a dance educator, I believe I kind of have it easier then every one else because it is very easy for me to incorporate several multiple intelligences with in my lessons.

For instance if I was doing a lesson on time I will teach them about rhythms and note values using note signs and definition signs (Musical, Logical, visual, Linguistic). then I will have them get up and I will teach them a phrase using note values (Kinesthetic). After they have gone through the phrase a few times I will have them perform it to 2 different songs, one that is slower and one that is faster. Once they perform it I will ask them to take a moment to reflect on what happened with in the 2 different pieces of music (Intrapersonal). We will then share what we noticed (Interpersonal).


As you can see at the end of this simple lesson I have hit 7 out of the 8 MI’s. I do think that on one of the first days of class that I will have them take the test we did so I can have the opportunity to see in more detail what types of intelligences I will be dealing with. As far and assessment goes I kind of know how to asses them, however I think it will be nice to be able to focus on that in a little more detail so I can be able to implicate various styles of assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment